Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Going Big the other way

Hi Darrell

Thanks, and yes you certainly can link to it, that's really why I put
it up in the first place, to answer some of the questions that are
raised, about the use of a metal lathe for turning wood.

Can it turn threads ??
It can turn a whole range of thread sizes, but you would have the same
problems with the wood having to be very dense to get a good surface,
especially if one was to use a scraper like tool.

One could build a bracket to hold a router on the tool carriage and
then use the thread cutting cutter as some other setups use, then
choose whatever tread one would like, and you could use less dense
wood and still get a decent surface on the wood, Bonnie Klein uses
that kind of setup I think.

What works really good is turning straight inside boxes with a flat
bottom, holding a tool the regular metal turning way, and than shape/
finish the outside in a freehand wood turning way.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On 7 Mar, 06:51, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:
Thanks Leo
Nice stuff. I book marked the page but I will add it to my links if you do
not mind. It answers a lot of questions about using a metal lathe for wood.
Can you thread a box with that thing? I really have neither the money nor
the desire to change lathes but I like to ask questions.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate