Posted to alt.home.repair
DLK DLK is offline

Default rail/track lighting for kitchen

Does anyone have suggestions for specific rail or track systems/
fixtures for lighting a kitchen?

I am interested in replacing my current fluorescent fixture and
installing a curved rail/track system (mainly for esthetic reasons),
but I am concerned that it won't provide enough general light. I have
seen some kitchens with track systems that look dark. It has been
suggested that I use wall washer fixtures and fixtures with a metal
interior to redirect light. The kitchen is 9-10 ft long and I do not
need pendants.

Also, I thought that a fixture with transformer that could be mounted
anywhere would be best because the hole for the wiring is off-center
in a concrete ceiling. That way, the track could be centered and the
transformer could be placed slightly off to the side. I can't think
of any other type of fixture that would address that irregularity with
the wiring and still be centered in the room.

Low voltage or line voltage? Halogen bulbs?

Any suggestions on brands, types of systems, heads are greatly
appreciated.
Thanks.