Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Living with well water

Dan wrote:

But the water thing is a pretty major issue.

I wouldn't worry about it. If the water is hard, you soften it. If
it is gritty, you filter it. I wouldn't think either would be the
case in your area.

As far as taste goes, I would FAR rather have water with a touch of
mineral taste than the overly chlorinated municipal water in many
areas.
____________________

On the other hand, where we live now, our our total water/sewer bill
is about $170 every 2 months. On one recent bill, ~$60 of this was
water service, ~$35 was storm & surface water service, & ~$80 was
wastewater service. Don't know how the storm & surface would be
handled in a septic/well area, but at least the water/wastewater
savings would be there.

You'll save a bit but you'll have to contend with
maintenance/replacement/nuisance...

1. Septic tanks need to be pumped (sludge removed) every few years

2. Neither septic tanks nor drain fields last forever

3. Pumps and pressure tanks don't last forever. If a pump goes bad -
or is hit by lighning - expect to spend at least $1500 to replace it.

4. If your power goes out you have no water save whatever small amount
happens to be in the pressure tank.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...