Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bjarte Runderheim Bjarte Runderheim is offline

Default GOING small

charlieb wrote:

Though it seems crazy, I think I may break out the
little Unimat, make some little tools and have a
try at GOING small.

Why on earth would you want a little UNIMAT to make small things
when the Vickmark or the Stubby can do it even better?
Does the Unimat have the versatile chucks of the larger animals; does
it have the speedcontrol; does it have the stability and the precision
that the larger lathes do?

Any way there is to hold a workpiece can be used on the biggie. Not
the other way around.

I have made several small things on my 800-pound Vickmark, and I have
tried it on a small Rexxon-lathe weighing in at about 5 pounds - and
give me the sturdy versatility of the biggie every time!

That's the great thing about turning - so many
ways to go and so many ways to get there.

Fun this wood working thing.

So true:-)

BjarteR