Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wiring question Knob and Tube

In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove this)
@optonline.net says...
Clearly K&T has issues, such as blown insulation, but I'm bothered by the
knee-jerk reaction to it. Where's the checkmark on the insurance form for
pre 1920 wiring of all types?

Some companies do have a general age surcharge -- my own home has a
"pre-1930" surcharge at the moment, until I've finished some other
upgrades and rewrite the policy. No surcharge for having K&T.

Many companies have a very general guideline such as "wiring that is
obsolete, deteriorated, or in need of replacement." K&T is one obvious
thing to look for, but it's not the only thing -- depending on the
underwriting, they may decline coverage because of fuse panels,
ungrounded circuits, aluminum wiring, etc.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/