Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default Hot water Baseboards airlocked

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 14:23:34 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Platebanger" wrote in message
Hi Folks, I have a hot water baseboard system that runs on one zone from
my oil fired burner. One of the baseboards is airlocked and not producing
heat. The bleeder valve is rusted and striped so I can't get the air out
of the line.

Any suggestions on how to bleed the air out would be appreciated.

Replace the bleeder valve. If you have to, drill it out, re-tap the hole
and use an adapter.

You can pressure bleed the zone. Then once past heating season, you
can repair the bleed.

Details of pressure bleeding vary depending on system configuration,
but the idea is get water to flow from the makeup water connection,
through the air locked zone, and out the boiler drain (or zone drain
if there is one). As best you can, you isolate the problem zone by
closing off the valves to the other zones. Pro's will use a pump to
get higher pressure and flow than you can through the makeup valve.
If the makeup valve has a "fast fill" setting, that will help a lot.
And close the valve (if there is one) to the expansion tank. Don't
forget to open it again when done.

It helps to sketch out the piping circuit, and figure out what you
need to close to get water to flow only through the problem zone.

HTH,

Paul