Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Canchippy Canchippy is offline

Default Dead Standing Timber

On Mar 6, 4:51 pm, THumphr wrote:
I've got some dead standing timber tat I'm going to be cutting out of
my fence row. Does this need to be treated as green wet wood or can I
turn as is?

-Terry

Lots of good advice from others and I can add some more from a recent
experience. The local township was forced to trim/remove some dead and
partially dead Norway Maples. So I scavenged several manageable logs
up to about 14' dia and threw them in the back of my SUV. On the drive
home I was horrified to see big black carpenter ants crawling all over
the roof lining when i looked in the rear view. Once i got home I had
to fumigate and all the logs, which were from several different trees,
had large nests in them. Managed to get enough wood for goblets from
the logs but the wood certainly wasn't free! I finish turned down to
less than 1/8" bowl thickness and applied wipe on poly. Had very
minimal movement and no cracking as there was no pith in the half logs.