Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window sill material

"Goedjn" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 17:17:15 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Goedjn" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 00:28:54 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"3G" wrote in message ...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
| "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
|
| "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
|
| What if kids touch it, and put their hands in their mouths?
|
| Won't hurt them a bit.
|

| That's the stupidest thing I've heard since a Bush press
conference
two
| weeks ago. Congratulations.
|
| Who told you to say that? I need links to research. Now.
|

| And the truth is probably in between. How much of the PT chemical
will you
| pick up on your had if you touch it? Once dried for a time, I'd
say
very
| little. Are there cases of poisonings from just touching? Do
you
have
| any links to research?
|

| By the way, the chemicals we're dealing with in PT cannot be
properly
tested
| for safety.

The real reason for avoiding it is that some of us prefer not to
| have our kids used as laboratory rats.

thats the doctors job
take your medicine.

todays PT is arsenic free
would't you know that................ if you are so concerned

It doesn't really matter. Whatever is in it is designed to stop "life"
that
would eat the wood. Do you know what's in it now?

According to this study by the state of Connecticut:
http://www.caes.state.ct.us/PlantSci.../arsenic99.htm

A rough approximation of the amount of arsenic you can expext to
ingest by virtue of playing on a PT playset and licking your hands
is somewhere in the vicinity of: 5 micro-grams per day.

From:
http://www.inchem.org/documents/hsg/...tionNumber:2.2

The smallest recorded lethal dose of arsenic ever was about 70 mg.
From the same source:
"With long-term exposure, significant toxic effects can be
expected to occur above a daily oral intake of 100-200 µg."

(µg being micrograms)

=======================
FWIW, My understanding is that the current regulatory changes
against CCA are more about the fact that the arsenic eventually
ends up in the aquifers than that it's dangerous in use.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it *IS* a toxic chemical, and you
shouldn't be going out of your way to expose yourself to it,
but the same is true of most household cleaners,
the gasoline you put in your car, permanant felt-tip
markers, and galvanized hand railings. (well, ok,
the human tolerance for zink about 10 times higher
than for arsenic, but still..)

--Goedjn

We tend to keep kids away from dangerous chemicals because any given dose
affects them more. This is why playgrounds are being rebuilt without PT
lumber.

Hysteria and politics are why playgrounds are being rebuilt without
PT lumber. Any sensible human who was concerned about it would
just paint the damn things.

Let's try a different angle here. Your kid's got an ear infection. He
doesn't get them often. The doctor says "Any antibiotic would work. But,
just for grins, let's try this new drug. It's barely been tested, and only
on rats."

What do you say?