Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Maxprop Maxprop is offline

Default Why GO BIG?

"charlieb" wrote in message
Maxprop wrote:

Assuming this post is a response to my inquiry about Stubby lathes, is
that
a touch of envy I detect in your post, Charlie? Your presumption that an
upper-end lathe would constitute little more than a trophy in my shop
appears suspiciously close to arrogance. Although a relative newcomer,
my
learning curve is steep and I continue to improve. Becoming a competent
turner is a goal which I will achieve with time. That some individuals
have
the financial ability to buy pretty much whatever they desire is
irrelevant.

If not envy, are you implying that an expensive lathe is a poor
investment
for a turner ultimately desirous of supplementing his retirement income
with
his work? Or even for an aggressive amateur who simply enjoys making
objets
d'art and/or gifts for friends? Or for one who appreciates fine
machinery
and understands the annoyances and idiosyncrasies avoided by having top
quality machinery?

You comments w/r/t the Stubby are helpful. I am in the process of
gathering
information about the better quality lathes available, and you obviously
know more about the Stubby than I. I regret that you found it necessary
take a cheap shot at me first.

Max

Max:

If you took my post to be in any way a dig at you - apologies. I
assure you
that was not my intent. If you reread my post, read it more as an
internal
dialogue - put to print and posted - wondering out loud as it were.
If you've
read any of my other posts I think you'll see that I'm not one to
belittle
anyone knowingly.

My wondering out loud about those who think they can buy knowledge,
skills
and abilities via the purchase of the most expensive equiptment -be
it a
woodworking tool or machine, jewelry making equiptment, cars or
anything
else was the starting point of Why Go Big.

The rest of my wondering out loud may has answered my question.
The class of lathes in the Go Big category all seem to be something
with almost limitless possibilities - especially the Stubby. Of the
various
types of woodworking I've done, no power tool I own or have used is
perfect, some being more limiting than others. The Stubby seems to
offer the least constraints to woodturning - at least in the context
of
a hobbyist / amateur shop. Short of turning architectural sized
pieces,
its capabilities - built in - seem to offer the fewest constraints to
turning
just about anything one can think of. In today's world, finding an
affordable
"near perfect" tool is a rarity. Festool seems to be working on
changing
that for some woodworking tasks, but the Stubby seems to already be
there in the turner's world.

envy. I'm a woodworking tools phreak. I've got the time and
enough
money to buy what I want, or think I need. If it's under $500,
that's often
an impulse buy. If it's over five grand - well I'll do a lot of
research before
plonking down the money.

If you want to poke around my shop - here's the right half - the room
of
noise and sawdust. Haven't added the JET mini/midi and it's
accessories
to the right rear corner of the diagram - but I'm working on that
update.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...htSideMap.html

When it comes to really nice wood - I've been known to go green on
occasion, and sometimes even pass up a deal on some nice stuff. The
200 bf of quarter sawn English Sycamore ( actually a maple not a
sycamore)
for $4/bf wasn't a deal I passed on, even though it meant a couple
days
building storage racks for it. But tool envy - not one of my
shortcomings.

Again, apologies if my post bothered you. Look foreward to your
participation
in this group.

charlie b

Perhaps it was my belief that you were implying my intent to "buy" knowledge
and experience through the purchase of a superior machine that I found
offensive. Nothing could be further from the truth. I've worked hard and
diligently, studying, turning, reading posts in this NG, asking questions,
and applying what I've learned in order to get to the level of skill I've
achieved. My current abilities are nowhere in the ballpark with those of
you who've turned for years, and I'm the first to recognize that. But
becoming competent, creative, and productive is my goal; one which I'm
confident I will achieve with time. Never has it crossed my mind that it's
possible or desirable to circumvent the long learning curve with the
purchase of expensive tools. I simply wanted to upgrade my lathe and saw no
reason not to consider the very best.

Your post above has conveyed a tenor that leads me to believe I've misjudged
you, Charlie. For that I'm regretful and offer my apology. I hope you'll
accept that as well as my admiration of your tolerance for newcomers who
spout off occasionally.

Max