Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch Patriarch is offline

Default Vise recommendation needed

"RayV" wrote in news:1173285416.139803.146020@
8g2000cwh.googlegroups.com:

I am ready to build my first workbench. I bought a Taunton book and
will probably be making a 'traditional' style bench, but it will most
likely have a MDF or similar top. Where I am stuck is the vise(s).

snip

When I wanted to build my bench, there happened to be a Garrett Wade
catalog on the desk. I bought theirs, for maybe $120 delivered. Not
cheap, but it's lasted well so far, and should, for several more
generations, both of people and benches.

I built a 'make this bench for $200' bench from Popular Woodworking, using
kd construction lumber and cabinet ply for the top. Laminated three layers
for the top, it's pretty solid. I built another couple of benches with
similar structure, and 'oops' doors from the door shop. Really solid fire-
rated mdf, with veneer on them. Easily worth the $10 I spent on each one.

The vise, a good one, will last, as far as you're concerned, 'forever'. A
cheap one, not so much so. The rest is your choice.

Patriarch