Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] else24@gmail.com is offline

Default Vise recommendation needed

On Mar 7, 10:36 am, "RayV" wrote:
I am ready to build my first workbench. I bought a Taunton book and
will probably be making a 'traditional' style bench, but it will most
likely have a MDF or similar top. Where I am stuck is the vise(s), is
there a vise that someone can recommend that is betweenhttp://tinyurl.com/2smz6c
andhttp://tinyurl.com/38wryh
I don't think I need the quick release feature and I could easily be
convinced to build the vise using a bench screw but they seem to be as
high priced as the vises.

I don't expect this to be the last bench I build just one good enough
to hold pieces firmly until I develop my skills. I want it to have a
face vise and a tail vise or at least a sliding dog clamp (forgive the
terminology). Trying to plane/scrape a 36x36 maple panel is the
motivator for building this bench. It is amazing how easy it is to
push a contractor saw with CI wings and a 2" thick Oak outfeed table
with a No 4 plane.

I got lucky and was given two vintage vises by a friend so I can't
speak about new ones. But now that I've used both kinds I can say that
the quick release is not a trivial thing to leave out. For some reason
I end up needing the vise jaws far apart one minute and close together
the next, just about constantly, and I sure got tired of cranking on
that other vise before I replaced it with a quickrelease.

I think my bottom line recommendation is if your budget demands it go
ahead and get the one without QR but I'd start saving quarters - or
maybe watching ebay and craigslist - for a quickrelease vise because
they save you a lot more work and time than you might think.

Oh, and if you're going to be installing it in an mdf top, glue a
piece of solid wood underneath the mdf to mount the vise to. It'll
hold the screws better.