Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV RayV is offline

Default Vise recommendation needed

I am ready to build my first workbench. I bought a Taunton book and
will probably be making a 'traditional' style bench, but it will most
likely have a MDF or similar top. Where I am stuck is the vise(s), is
there a vise that someone can recommend that is between
http://tinyurl.com/2smz6c
and
http://tinyurl.com/38wryh
I don't think I need the quick release feature and I could easily be
convinced to build the vise using a bench screw but they seem to be as
high priced as the vises.

I don't expect this to be the last bench I build just one good enough
to hold pieces firmly until I develop my skills. I want it to have a
face vise and a tail vise or at least a sliding dog clamp (forgive the
terminology). Trying to plane/scrape a 36x36 maple panel is the
motivator for building this bench. It is amazing how easy it is to
push a contractor saw with CI wings and a 2" thick Oak outfeed table
with a No 4 plane.