Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Why GO BIG?

Bill
I am not a Stubby owner and since I was a mathemetician, I am not about to
buy a lottery ticket. However, I have always considered the Stubby to be a
good buy for its quality and design. Now you say that a lot of the parts are
basically off the shelf hardware and electronics? Sounds like sound
engineering practice to me, unlike a lot of cars and such that are made
today so that only the manufacturer's dealers can stock them. Way to go!

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
t...
I'll address the replacement parts issue...

I stock most parts in the US. Many of the parts are off-the-shelf --
nuts, bolts, stuff like that. Castings? -- not much to go wrong here.

Compatible bearings are available from a number of major manufacturers and
I stock them. I also stock a loaner kit of stuff which will make your job
of replacing bearings easier.

The little handles which lock the tool rest? They are available from the
major industrial suppliers and I also stock them.

Belts -- these are flat belts and a little difficult to come by -- I stock
them.

Electronics -- all assembled here, mainly from Cutler Hammer (Eaton)
parts. I stock everything and most items are also available from the
major electronics suppliers. Further, there are plenty of parts which you
can substitute for the ones I supply. The Start, Stop, and Direction
switches are all 22.5 mm and that is a standard size.

VFD -- Cutler Hammer (Eaton). I stock them.

The speed pot -- if you drop the remote control enough times, you can get
a replacement for the pot from me or from your local Radio Shack.

Also remember that there are a lot of parts which, if they fail, you can
work around the problem. You have a spare banjo so you have a spare tool
rest lock. If you have blown up the spindle lock, you have wrenches,
etc...

The stand? A weldment made here. Not much to go wrong.

So, what's the problem? I have spares of just about everything. BTW, the
F600, the S750, and the S1000 all use a common headstock which helps when
it comes to stocking parts.

Bill

charlieb wrote:
I guess I'm recalling my jewelry making days. I knew
far to many amateur jewelry makers who owned every
jewelry making tool, machine and ALL the accessories.
Most were under the impression that they could buy
knowledge, skills and abilities - if they spent enough
on the equiptment

And I've known several guys who owned a car that
could go 0-60 in 3.6 seconds and with a top end of
well over 160 mph - with disc brakes the size of
pizza pans - the LARGE sized pizza pans. Two actually
got their car up to 110 mph - scared themselves -
into trading their dream car in for something a bit
more useful - and a hell of a lot less expensive to
insure.

The Stubby is a unique machine, designed from the
ground up to a) be rock solid and b) provide plenty
of capacity and flexability. It has many unique
features.

My concern would be, god forbid, replacement parts. If you have to put
up a grand for the deposit just to get on the list for a unit, then wait
3 or 4 months to get it- after putting up almost another five grand - and
then some for shipping cost - I wonder about how long it
would take to get a replacement part. Having
NO working lathe for a couple of months would
"disturb" me.

charlie b