Posted to rec.woodworking
Pig Pig is offline

Default I want a Woodcraft (in NJ)

On Mar 7, 8:52 am, "RayV" wrote:
Had some time available and the need for a cabinet scraper so decided
to take a run from the office in Trenton to Woodcraft in Downingtown,
PA (took about an hour one-way would be 2 hours from home).

WOW! They had hardware, hand tools, power tools, workbenches, vises,
a classroom and even a decent selection of lumber. I could have
easily spent hours in the store.

I go to the Woodcraft in Allentown, not far off of I-78, but it still
takes me an hour to get there from home. Other than the wood show
(this year in Somerset) there is really nothing except AW Meyer and
Force Machinery, and then only for the big iron and the "normal"
powertools you can get at the Borg or Lowes, albeit you get a better
selection at AWM and Force.

I've often thought of exploring a Woodcraft franchise, but the idea of
owning and running a business even though I'd love it, would leave no
time for anything else, specifically making stuff out of wood.

For wood, I've been to the places mentioned by you and others in the
thread, but was agast at the prices, so I rented an 18 foot box van
and went out to Lewis Lumber in Picture Rocks PA (3 hour drive) and
bought up a couple of thousand board feet of cherry, hard maple and
poplar, with some walnut, and that's been keeping me in wood for the
time being; prices are much lower even considering the van rental and
gas. Mutt

Here are a few places I know of in NJ
Lumberhttp://www.willardbrothers.net/
Toolshttp://www.forcemachinery.com/
mainly power toolshttp://www.awmeyer.com/
Never been but I believe it is mainly power tools

Now that I am ready to take on bigger/better projects I need to get
some *real* wood and that seems all but impossible in NJ. I have
tried several places and most only carry 1x stock and the selection is
usually poplar, pine and sometimes maple.

So does anyone know of places in NJ that sell wood or tools?
What about online suppliers?