Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio
Joe Joe is offline

Default Hunt the capacitor (was My sub-woofer hums...)

stevelup wrote:
On Mar 7, 3:19 pm, "stevelup" wrote:
On Mar 7, 3:17 pm, "stevelup" wrote:

Hi
RS Part Number 2508869138
12,000uF
63V
35mm Diameter, 50mm Length
Regards,
Steve

CPC have a 10,000uF part in stock

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...sp?SKU=CA01667

Regards,

Steve

I must stop replying to myself... I spotted an interesting thing in
the datasheet - the lifespan of this part is 12000 hours - which isn't
an awful lot.

Assuming it's on for six hours a day, that's less than six years.

As I pointed out elsewhere, that's at the maximum temperature, and
derating appears roughly exponential. At 30 degrees C less than its
rated temperature, which is not unreasonable, it might last five to
ten times that.

I don't think 12000 hours is bad for an electrolytic. The old rule
of thumb was seven years, though of course many go far beyond that.
A bit like hard drives.