Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio
John Laird John Laird is offline

Default Hunt the capacitor (was My sub-woofer hums...)

Tim Downie wrote:
Hunting down suitable capacitor replacements for my sub-woofer is turning
out a lot harder than I was expecting.

I've googled oodles of sites but can't find anything *near* the right spec.

It's a 12000 micro farad 63v electrolytic jobbie. A "radial" type (stubby
cyclinder, two pins at the bottom for soldering to PCB). Needs to be no
more than 35 mm diameter and preferably 45 mm tall (although there is room
for more height).

Other info, it has LSM, 85C(M) and VENT printed down the side (and it was
made by LICON).

I can't find anything with those values and even if I over-spec, I can't
find anything close enough.

Can anyone help?

Farnell have a selection of 10000uF and 15000uF examples. (Start at
http://uk.farnell.com and try searching for capacitor. All the result
URLs I found include a sessionid so that'll time out and not be
generally useful.) The slightly under-spec part is much cheaper...

Another common recommendation is CPC.

Maplin seem to have thoughtfully discontinued their 10000uF stock.
They have almost completely morphed into a purveyor of consumer crap.
I struggle to work out how to buy some of the stuff they sell and/or
choose a sales droid who looks like they might be able to help.

--
"If it works, tear it apart and find out why!"