Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Why GO BIG?

On Mar 6, 11:52 pm, "Maxprop" wrote:
wrote in message

My comments to Charlie apply to you in spades, Robert. Your paragraphs
above would seem patently arrogant.

I've always been puzzled why there are always a few in various trades who
harbor such resentment toward those who pursue the same activities on an
amateur or hobby-related basis. Certainly no amateur carpenter or
cabinetmaker routinely calls your skills into question, do they? So why do
you appear to be threatened? If its not threats you feel, your comments
above would simply constitute mean-spiritedness and arrogance, or at least a
high degree of jealousy toward those with the means to buy fine equipment.
Not a great recommendation for one who purports to earn his living by
selling his skills to the buying public.

You are in a rare position to be helpful to those with lesser skills and far
less experience. Why you've instead chosen to demonstrate disdain is beyond
my comprehension.

Max- Hide quoted text -

Max... wow.... make that next cup decaf, OK? I don't mean to come
off as arrogant, but it is clear that you don't care to give me the
benefit of a doubt.

Step back... think... in context, my comment was no different than
saying that I run into someone that has a 67 Mustang that they love
and cherish, something they polish, sit in, tune up and just enjoy.
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH PRIDE IN OWNERSHIP. If you like
collecting and enjoy your collection, who cares what it is? Cars,
tools, guns, who cares? One of my buddies has a year old Chevy truck
that he never uses for anything but hauling his butt around, never,
ever as a truck. So what? I can't notice that? He and I both laugh
at his cowboy cadillac. He loves it, and that is good enough. I
don't understand why he bought a truck instead of a car, but it is the
same idea with the tools. Why buy tools you don't use unless you are
indeed collecting?

You read an awful lot into that post, and I can only assume somebody
that makes a living with their craft has snubbed you and hurt your
feelings. For me on the other hand, I am the one that shows up on
volunteer day with our club to help others learn to turn. FYI, I am
also giving free lessons to one of my clients that is absolutely
tickled pink to get some help. And if I had a nickel for everyone
that asked me to "take a look at something" for them at the end of a
job to get free advice I could retire. I even show some of them how
to set up their tools as well as diagnose problems. Easy for me to do
since it is my life; and some are so gratetful it is silly.

The only gripe I ever have with someone with a garage full of tools is
when they try to pass themselves off as the next Sam Maloof. Tools
don't make the craftsman, only time, commitment and experience will do
it. Had you taken to the minute to inquire of me if I ever run into a
home craftsman that puts out a nice piece of work, I would immediately
reply to the positive. It may take some of the home craftsman longer
to do some things, but in fact there are some that turn out better
work than many of the professionals I know.

As far as helping out those that frequent this group, I do what I
can. Between here and rec.woodworking, last year I had about 650 ON
TOPIC (or at least pretty close!) responses to anything from someone
asking how to set up an HVLP gun to shoot lacquer to installing crown
molding on uneven ceilings. I am around 150 this year. I stay out of
the politcal horsehockey, and pretty much stay only on the wood
related stuff.

And I am really surprised that you would go after Charlie. That guy
has been one of the most giving and helpful guys in a long time. A
genuine enthusiast, he has always generously shared his work, his
methods, his "oops", and has even posted diagrams and procedures on
his website for all to see. Not to mention his detailed posts and
photos... shame on you.

Maybe you should hang around here a little more and get to know the
guys before you fire (misfire?) out with your pronouncements. I have
never seen an honest question go unanwered when posted here.

I will say this... I did get a real chuckle out of the thought of
being threatened...
Not hardly.

One thing you learn in the tradess/crafts, is that no matter how good
you are at something, there is ALWAYS someone better. Always.

Robert