Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Dead Standing Timber

Hi Terry
It depends a lot on how long the trees have been standing dead, and
also the size of the logs and of course the local climate, as in dry
or wet, lot of sun or rain, and fence row wood is mostly right in the
open, no shelter from anything.
Some wood if the climate is right will be spalting and some just will
not, but all will start splitting and those splits can go deep enough
to render the wood almost useless for turning but the smallest stuff
or just some spindles.
Friend of mine brought me some Osage that had been cut back as they
where leaners at the edge of a bush, one or two years before, and as
he was cleaning up the trail there he cut those bottom ends off and
brought them to my place, they where only oh, 8 inches or so thick,
and yes they had some splits in them, now Osage is pretty rare around
here and I do want to make some small turnings from it, wish he had
cut them down before they all splitt though.
Anyway get that wood home and have a look in what shape it is, and if
still useable seal the wood etc, just like green wood, that's what I
would do.
And start roughen out those bowls, before the wood all splits to heck.

Have fun and take care and please let us know how you made out
with it.
Leo Van Der Loo

On Mar 6, 4:51 pm, THumphr wrote:
I've got some dead standing timber tat I'm going to be cutting out of
my fence row. Does this need to be treated as green wet wood or can I
turn as is?

-Terry