Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix Bob Mannix is offline

Default Low Level Cistern - Connect Overflow to Flush Pipe

"adder1969" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 6, 4:38 pm, "Bob Mannix" wrote:
"John Stumbles" wrote in message

news

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 14:47:00 +0000, TheScullster wrote:

Hi all

As the subject really. Is there any reason why I shouldn't pipe an
overflow
from the side of a cistern down and under said cistern and tee into
flush
pipe?
If so, is there a reducing tee type fitting that would take 22mm
overflow
pipe into the side of 38mm flush pipe?
The current overflow goes into a room soon to be a kitchen
(hopefully).
I want to keep the existing cistern, box it in and fit a back to wall
pan.
This way I have one toilet in the house that gives a decent flush
volume
(unlike the flush three times 6Litre models currently on the market).

You can do it and IIRC BES have bits for doing so but it looks sh1t3
(unless it's all concealed). There are various alternative flush valves
with internal overflow you could use. If you have a standard size
syphon valve you can get 8" ones which are usually low enough to
overflow
internally, or there are flap valves (which can use a regular-looking
handle) or push-button valves (many dual-flush) from Multiquick and
Opella.

Yes, it's much, much better to fit a new siphon with built in overflow.
You
can go to the flush pipe but it should be via a tundish (where the pipe
ends, there's a gap and then more pipe with a flared top to catch the
flow -
this gives the required air break) and it looks (as he says) sh1t. You
can
get interna;l overflow siphons from B&Q (I think).

--

As I udnerstand it, and I could be wrong, there's no requirement for a
visible tundish as one would be able to see the overflow flowing into

It *may* be the case that the regs have changed and the tundish is not
required (don't know) but it wasn't so you could see an overflow, it was to
provide an air break between the pan and the cistern.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)