Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Electrical Questions

In article , Terry wrote:
On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 19:01:14 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Terry

wrote:
This sounds like what we call a California 3 - way. I Google for it
and found many messages about it but the only drawing I found was
wrong.

In a California splice you have only 3 wires going to the next 3 way
switch (out to the garage)

How does that differ from the normal method of wiring a 3-way switch?

It is connected so that you are switching
the neutral. This will allow the light switch as expected but, as
others have pointed out, would make the screw shell of the light hot.

That's stupid, when the hot can be switched just as easily.

Think about it. You have a 3-way switch in the house to control a
light at the garage. You also have a receptacle in the garage. (the
other 3 way is at the garage) You can have the light and receptacle
work with 3 wires.

You can not have that work if you switch the hot.

Of course you can. What makes you think it won't work?

If it is so stupid, then you figure it out.

I already have... but I think you're missing something.

I know you will say....why not use 4 wires?

I agree. That is better, but I have seen people use 2 wires to go to
3-way swithches and use the bare as a traveler.

I've seen lots of dangerous practices. Never that particular one, though.

--
Regards,