Posted to alt.home.repair
Just Joshin Just Joshin is offline

Default Will draining a hot water heater tank preserve its life?

On 5 Mar 2007 08:35:43 -0800, "
wrote:

I heat my water for washing with natural gas. I have both a tank type
water heater and a tankless water heater. They both sit in the
basement under my living room. I can easily switch to either using one
of them or both of them to heat my water. During the summer the
tankless is sufficient for my needs but not in the winter when the
incoming water is very cold. Does it pay to completely drain the tank
heater during the warmer months of the year when I will not use it or
will it corrode more than with water in it?
Richard

I was brought up to speed on my water heater life, by a handy man. He
said stressing out the heater could shorten the life. Example, having
the termistat very high, and letting muck build up in the bottom.

Do you think letting out the water and letting air come in contact
with the inner lining is stress?

Tom @ www.NoCostAds.com