Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Need to fix old valve radio

On Mar 6, 6:59 am, wrote:
On 4 Mar, 23:28, wrote:

...and lastly, the radio has not been used since the last time I
tested
it about 10 years ago. Then it worked fine, no I tested it again and
suddenly there is this problem. It is entirely possible that it was
knocked (I hope not dropped) while in storage, but there is nothing
visibly broken, and all the valves do glow.
BTW, I tried removing the valves one by one and seeing if one valve
did not "make a difference", but this approach did not work, any valve
removed results in no sound at all.

Schematic now available,

Great for the schematic. Now we can get going. The case of the
electrolytic is the "ground" The two terminals are for two separate
sections of the electrolytic that share the same case and a common
ground.

Looking at the schematic, they are probably two of the three
capacitors shown as C14a, b, and c, at the output of the 6x5
rectifier, pin8, shown as . You will have to trace the DC voltage
developed at the pin8 of the 6x5 through resistors R13 and R12. The
voltage rating on the capacitors is 350 V, so I would expect the
voltage developed at pin8 is at least 250Volts DC. See what you
measure on pin 8 and then on the other two capacitor points, and then
we'll go from there. If you want, you can e-mail me directly, or else
we can do it this way, whichever you prefer. I have a meeting to go
to for the next several hours, will be back later on.

Bob Hofmann