Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default Glass Tabletop

I know someone who lost an arm falling into a non tempered glass table top.
Go with tempered. You can have it custom made locally. Often done. My
elderly parents had one made to protect a wood table 3 years ago. They
came, made a template, and came back with the glass.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently moved and upon transporting my dining room table, I broke
the glass top. I believe the old piece was tempered glass. I'm not
sure the thickness. Here is a link to it:
http://www.easylifefurniture.com/din...sstown_dr.html

I have found many places online that sell glass, but it costs a lot
for delivery (about 100-200 dollars). Pier 1 sells a glass tabletop
and they have some in a local store. The one for sale is a little
smaller than my old tabletop, but I don't mind. It will still fit my
current table, but with less overhang. The only problem I have with
the Pier 1 tabletop is that it is non-tempered. Here is a link to it:
http://www.pier1.com/catalog/product...fh_view=search

Pier 1 says that non-tempered is the industry standard for tabletops.
Is this correct?

I have read that tempered breaks into smaller pieces, whereas non-
tempered breaks into larger (sharper) pieces. Tempered also is
stronger. Non-tempered can chip without ruining the whole piece, but
tempered can chip and destroy the whole table.

Should I go with the non-tempered, or should I look around for
tempered because of the safety concerns?