Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Weitzel Ken Weitzel is offline

Default Need to fix old valve radio

David wrote:

"Radiosrfun" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
On 4 Mar, 23:28, wrote:
...and lastly, the radio has not been used since the last time I
tested
it about 10 years ago. Then it worked fine, no I tested it again and
suddenly there is this problem. It is entirely possible that it was
knocked (I hope not dropped) while in storage, but there is nothing
visibly broken, and all the valves do glow.
BTW, I tried removing the valves one by one and seeing if one valve
did not "make a difference", but this approach did not work, any valve
removed results in no sound at all.

Schematic now available, at

I looked at some of the pictures. My guess is that you basically need to
measure every resistor and capacitor in this set. You most likely have
several resistors that have gone WAY up in value and several capacitors
with excessive leakage resistance. Do not be surprised if you have to
replace every one of those wax coated capacitors and many of the
resistors as well. A usual suspect for your symptom is the resistor that
feeds the plate of the audio amplifier (6SQ7) which should be in the
100K to 470K ohm range.

Hi...

Don't have any idea how valid it was, but back in the days when the
dinosaurs were walking around we used to gently squeeze the wax caps
with a long nose... if they were soft, they were replaced on general
principle.

Take care.

Ken