Randy Zimmerman

Default What's the thrust path in a jet engine?

No one has mentioned the concepts of static and dynamic pressure exerted by
the gas. The static pressure changes as the gases move out from the
combustion chamber.
My guess is there has to be some sort of force component on walls and
chambers at right angles to the flow of gases. Since you don't have any
vertical brick walls so to speak the thrust forces would be distributed on
the walls of the passages as the speed and pressures vary. A ram jet would
have to have some sort of reactive force on the walls of the passages.
Just my 2 cents,
Randy

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
I think I understand how a (non-turbofan) gas turbine jet engine works
and that the engine's thrust comes from an "equal and opposite" reaction
to lots of air molecules being flung out the rear at very high velocities.

What I'm not sure of is the specific path through which that thrust is
"collected" and makes its way to the engine pylon and thence to the
aircraft itself.

Is it mostly through the rear turbine rotor blades and their bearings,
and maybe the front compressor blades too?

I've been wondering about this ever since Machine Design's editor Ron
Kohl wrote in a recent column that he wasn't certain about it either.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)