Posted to uk.d-i-y
Franko Franko is offline

Default Low Level Cistern - Connect Overflow to Flush Pipe

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

As the subject really. Is there any reason why I shouldn't pipe an
overflow from the side of a cistern down and under said cistern and tee
into flush pipe?
If so, is there a reducing tee type fitting that would take 22mm overflow
pipe into the side of 38mm flush pipe?
The current overflow goes into a room soon to be a kitchen (hopefully).
I want to keep the existing cistern, box it in and fit a back to wall pan.
This way I have one toilet in the house that gives a decent flush volume
(unlike the flush three times 6Litre models currently on the market).

TIA

Phil

Call me a cowboy - but here goes ..................
When I fitted my cloakroom out a few years ago, the only option I had for
the overflow was to run it about 8 metres through my lounge.
I ended up drilling a hole in the top of the soil pipe and feeding the
overflow, incorporating a u-bend directly into this and sealing with
silicone - topping up the u-bend with water to create an air lock.
Afterwards I thought that the water in the u-bend would soon dry up and I
would forever be smelling the contents of the drain through the cistern but
we've never smelt anything and I've only topped the trap up once !