Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default How much should a small remodel cost?

John wrote:
come on people be serious. I have a handy friend that says that he replaced
a fiberglass or whatever tub with something similar, but with 4 pieces in
like 10 hours. He says that it is kind of a pain and didn't really want to
do it again.

So should I expect a rate of something like $100 a hour...so something like
$1000-$2000. Does the $100 include overhead?

Would I be quoted a flat rate, or something like a normal cost with
everything broken down? Would I be likely to see line item fees that list
semi-likely events(cracked pipes) with the amounts and how much I would have
discounted if those problems aren't encountered.

Be serious? Everyone is being serious. Some people are pointing out
that you're not asking questions that can be given a serious answer -
even if you think you are.

Your guess as to how long the project will take, based on a handy
friend's experience, isn't exactly something to hang your hat on. In
your original post you gave no information about where you are, what
is involved, type of construction, nothing at all.

You're approaching this the wrong way. Say you get _the_ definitive
answer on this newsgroup. Mighty Zeus hurls some thunderbolts and
carves the _exact_ number in stone. What does that do for you?
Nothing. If the contractor pool in your area happens to think that
_the_ definitive answer you got here is full of crap, guess what? It
is full of crap.

The only number that will approach "real" is one gotten locally. Just
pick up the phone and call someone, preferably more than one, to
eyeball the job and give you a real number.

You're also asking about how the estimate will be given to you.
Depends entirely on the contractor. You might get a verbal quote or
an itemized printout. I'd guess a verbal quote or one of those carbon
paper proposal forms on such a small job. Of course the contract
should be in writing and have everything spelled out.