Leon McAtee

Default Aluminum casting problem

"Smelly Belly" wrote in message ...
check your venting.

The venting on this part has consisted of several small(3/32") vents
at the top most portions. They have never fully filled. One can see
that the ones closest to the ingates fill to a greater height (around
2 inch) than the colder ones.

What is the smallest cross section of your casting?

Size and general shape of a bread pan - about 4mm thick the piremeter
has a section only about 1.5mm thick which has been limiting my gate
size. There is a way I can gate to a more substantial portion of the
patern but it will take a bit more creativity - and my first attempt
at making a core.

Can you move the
ingate?

Yes. Tried one at one edge and then one on each end. The attempts
with 2 had sand inclusions (if that is what they really are) on only
one side, and seemed to be of less total volume.

Faster fill doesn't always make a better fill.

That has been my limited experience. The slower and the colder I can
pour and still have a fully filled mold seems to give the best
results.

What's the height of your cope?

About 6 inches total - 3 inches above the top of the casting. I also
tried swapping the cope and drag relative to the pattern with little
differance.

Will probably try again this weekend with larger runners, bigger sump
under sprue, a sand trap before the gate, and larger gates. I've had
good luck with other patterns using a slanted sprue. Seems to allow
the metal to flow in with less turbulance. But the flask I have been
using is a bit small to try that with this pattern. I have made a
slightly larger flask and will use it next time.