Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Satellite dishes

tim..... wrote:
"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
Roger R wrote:

In that case you would require a 60 cm dish for BBC channels on Astra 2
at
28 degrees east of south and/or an 80 cm dish for Hotbird at 13 degrees
east of south for a selection of European channels.

Anyone know if one can pick up BBC TV by satellite in Italy?

only with a very large dish

http://www.ses-astra.com/corpSite/si...ra2d/index.php

tim (used to live on the edge of the green zone which says
we should get it with a 75 cm, we couldn't)

I found the problem was getting the correct satellite. In the end what
I did was place the TV so that it was visible through a roughly South
facing window. I then mounted the dish on a workmate, moved the dish
until I received the satellite required, using the box's in built signal
meter to get the best possible strength with quality. I then used a
compass attached to a long piece of string and got a pretty accurate
direction, then I made a simple elevation instrument with a card, piece
of string and weight. These measurements were made from the arm of the
dish. I then mounted the dish in its final position using these
measurements, this gave me a reasonable signal on the required
satellite. Then it was a case of fine adjustment by help from the good
lady. Remember that the signal strength has a fair delay between moving
the dish and alteration of the signal. I had difficulty first of all as
I picked up the wrong satellite, also I later bought a simple meter,
however (maybe because I have electric pylons running across my garden)
the highest signal strength gives me no quality, which is useless!