Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much should a small remodel cost?

"John" wrote in message ...
come on people be serious. I have a handy friend that says that he
replaced a fiberglass or whatever tub with something similar, but with 4
pieces in like 10 hours. He says that it is kind of a pain and didn't
really want to do it again.

So should I expect a rate of something like $100 a hour...so something
like $1000-$2000. Does the $100 include overhead?

Would I be quoted a flat rate, or something like a normal cost with
everything broken down? Would I be likely to see line item fees that list
semi-likely events(cracked pipes) with the amounts and how much I would
have discounted if those problems aren't encountered.

We could be more serious if you would be also. You asked about a bathroom
remodel. Changing out a tub is not really a remodel, but merely a
replacement of one fixture. Far different than moving fixtures, re-doing
walls, adding marble tiles, and all the other work that can add up to a week
or more for at least two people.

The $100 an hour is probably a bit on the high side where I am and yes, it
would include overhead.

Most quotes would be fairly simple. Material plus labor for a normal job.
A disclaimer for some unusual events. They can't price that stuff until it
happens or a wall is opened up to see potential problems.