Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick F. Rick F. is offline

Default wiring question Knob and Tube

On 2007-03-06, RBM wrote:
I think that the point here is that your house's infrastructure was in poor
condition and as such it's in danger of fire, flood etc. Age alone does not
make wiring bad or dangerous. A house built in 23' could have wiring types
other than K&T, which in a poorly kept house, could deteriorate as badly or
worse than the K&T. In fact, in the book " Old Electrical Wiring" by David
Shapiro, he writes there is evidence that K&T was used in the 1980's in New
Orleans, in areas that flooded frequently, specifically because it held up
under those conditions.

Point taken.. This place we bought was in fact very poorly maintained over
the years -- of course we got a good price on it and would buy another one
if given the opportunity (8-