Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Glass Tabletop

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 22:44:17 GMT, (Malcolm Hoar)
wrote:

In article , Goedjn wrote:
On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 20:18:19 GMT,
(Malcolm Hoar)
wrote:

In article . com,

wrote:

Should I go with the non-tempered, or should I look around for
tempered because of the safety concerns?

If you have kids around on a regular basis, I would definitely
go for tempered. If you only have reasonably careful adults
0.5 inch non-tempered is reasonable.

If I was planning on running children, I think I'd go with
acrylic, polycarb, or laminated glass, depending on my budget.

The touble is, the kids (and their toys) will scratch the
acrylic or polycarb to the point that it looks horrible.

You can probably work out how I know this with complete
certainty...

However, the wood surface of our coffee table is still
in pristine shape despite the now crappy sheet of polycarb
sitting on top of it!

In that application, I'd use plate glass. It's fully supported,
so nobody's likely to kill themselves even if they break it.
(well, ok, to be honest, in that application, I'd use
pressboard and a tablecloth...)