Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default LED

Jumpster Jiver wrote:
Usual Suspect wrote:

James Sweet sez:

Most of them use CCFL tubes. If you open it up and look at it, it
should be obvious. Inverter failure is common but the tubes can wear
out too.

To add a little detail...

The CCFL is a thin (some as small as 1/4 inch diameter) fluorescent
lamp that runs the entire width (usually) of the bottom of the screen.
It's usually taped tightly to the screen with copper tape and not
always easily accessible. I'd bet it's the driver board (inverter)
that has failed. This is much more accessible and I'd test the output
of this before tearing apart the display to get at the bulb.
Good luck,

The inverter output is highfrequency and voltage and may damage some
digital meters.

Easiest to test with another lamp, you don't have to install it in the
display to test the inverter.