DoN. Nichols

Default Strangest first project.

In article ,
Backlash wrote:
Today someone was asking about my first metalworking project as a kid, so I
thought I would share it with you guys.
When I was 12, my uncle gave me an old lawnmower, along with an old
wringer washing machine. These were my first project parts aquisitions. I
wanted a power tool, so I took the motor off the washing machine. The mower

[ ... ]

Anyone else brave enough to share THEIR first project?

Reading through the thread, I've been trying to figure out
what *was* my first project. It depends on just what you would call a
"project". :-)

1) Lots of things from Tinkertoy and Erector sets, none of which
survive, and I never could tighten the screw sufficiently at
that age.

2) Probably the earliest was an electric motor kit in which you
assembled the frame and rotor, wound both assembled a
(short-lived) commutator and brushes. It worked (from a single
screw-terminal dry cell), but didn't really have enough power to
run anything worthwhile.

3) An adaptor to turn what used to be a music stand (I guess) into
a camera tripod (of sorts), involving taking a length of 1/4"
mild steel rod to the town's machine shop to get 1/4-20 threads
(before I discovered things like dies), and then I sawed off end
and with some time with a hacksaw and a file, managed to add the
ability to tilt the angle of view up or down. (I also "invented"
rivets, using part of a nail as material. :-) By this time, I
actually had a power tool -- an electric drill.

4) Things like home-built telegraph keys and sounders. (We were
too far from any citys for a crystal radio to be worth much. :-)

5) And eventually, I built a 10-1/2" reel-to-reel tape deck in
imitation of the Ampex that I saw at the school radio station.
(But not nearly as good. :-) Lots of metalworking in that one.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564