Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] rzaleski@gmail.com is offline

Default Glass Tabletop

I was unaware that such stores exist. It's not every day that you
break your glass dining room table...

On Mar 5, 12:14 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

I recently moved and upon transporting my dining room table, I broke
the glass top. I believe the old piece was tempered glass. I'm not
sure the thickness. Here is a link to it:
http://www.easylifefurniture.com/din...sstown_dr.html

I have found many places online that sell glass, but it costs a lot
for delivery (about 100-200 dollars). Pier 1 sells a glass tabletop
and they have some in a local store. The one for sale is a little
smaller than my old tabletop, but I don't mind. It will still fit my
current table, but with less overhang. The only problem I have with
the Pier 1 tabletop is that it is non-tempered. Here is a link to it:
http://www.pier1.com/catalog/product...10&returnURL=h...

Pier 1 says that non-tempered is the industry standard for tabletops.
Is this correct?

I have read that tempered breaks into smaller pieces, whereas non-
tempered breaks into larger (sharper) pieces. Tempered also is
stronger. Non-tempered can chip without ruining the whole piece, but
tempered can chip and destroy the whole table.

Should I go with the non-tempered, or should I look around for
tempered because of the safety concerns?

Do you live so far from a local glass store that you can't just call them,
ask for advice, order it, and drive over to pick it up or have it delivered?
Or, haven't you opened the yellow pages and looked under "glass"?