Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Concrete Step

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 15:57:54 -0500, "diablo" wrote:

I need to add a small 4-1/2 " high step to an existing concrete sidewalk.
Where the sidewalk meets the porch my dad has trouble stepping up to the 9"
porch step. My thoughts were to pour a step about 4-1/2" high and 16" deep
on top of the side walk to cut the stepping distance in half for him.

My plan was to drill a few holes in the old sidewalk, drop a few pieces of
rebar in there to hold the new step. And just build a form for the step. I
was going to use Quikrete and just smooth the top with a trowel, figure that
will leave a rough enough surface so he doesn't slip in rain.

Does that sound like a good plan?

There are no existing steps, then? It's just sidewalk up to
the edge of the porch, and the porch is 9" higher than
the sidewalk?

In that case, yeah, dropping a 4.5" thick slab
of stone or cement on the end of the sidewalk,
will work, although you'll want a railing, too.
You shouldn't need the rebar. A 36x12x4.5" slab of
concrete should weigh in excess of 150 pounds,
it's not likely to move on you.
I think I'd put down tarpaper, (Or saran wrap,
or whatever you've got) between the walkway
and the new step, so you can move it if you
ever want the thing out of there.