Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default Light Switch is Very Warm to Touch, How Fix?

On 5 Mar 2007 11:23:16 -0800, "Albert" wrote:

Have a dimmer light switch that controls 12, 60watt light bulbs in our
kitchen ceiling. The switch gets very warm to the touch. I assume
this is not good, what are my alternatives? Are there different levels
of dimmer controls that can handle higher wattage? If I put in
different types of bulbs lower wattage, or fluorescent, would that be
a good quick fix? Thanks.

If your dimmer is in a single gang box, it is a pretty safe bet that
you have a 600W dimmer.

You have 720W of load. The only thing you can do is lower the
wattage.

You can get a larger dimmer but it won't fit in a single gang box. You
can change the box, but probably not without doing a little sheet rock
work.