Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Light Switch is Very Warm to Touch, How Fix?

"Albert" wrote in message
oups.com...
Have a dimmer light switch that controls 12, 60watt light bulbs in our
kitchen ceiling. The switch gets very warm to the touch. I assume
this is not good, what are my alternatives? Are there different levels
of dimmer controls that can handle higher wattage? If I put in
different types of bulbs lower wattage, or fluorescent, would that be
a good quick fix? Thanks.

Changing to lower wattage bulbs will also affect the quality of the light in
ways you might not like. And, it'll cost more for the bulbs than a new
dimmer. The first thing to do is shut off the breaker to the circuit, and
pull the dimmer out enough to see what it's rated for. Actually, it might be
on the front of the thing, so you won't even have to pull it out of the box.
If it seems you need one with larger capacity, replacing the old one is not
that big a deal. Eyeball and measure how much space you have in the box
around the existing dimmer, and find a Leviton dealer.

Incidentally, all dimmers will get warm to some extent.