Posted to alt.home.repair
dlzc dlzc is offline

Default Ozone Generators - Anyone with experience?

Dear John Gilmer:

On Mar 5, 11:31 am, "John Gilmer" wrote:
"dlzc" wrote in message

oups.com...

Dear John Gilmer:

On Mar 5, 9:01 am, "John Gilmer" wrote:
Brand unimportant, just make sure that it has an air
dryer, not an oxygen concentrator inside. And the
air compressor / blower should draw from outside air,
not inside the space. Components upstream of where
ozone is made are in general intolerant of ozone being
sucked back into the unit.

http://www.air-zone.com/xt6000.html

The above is the company/model that has caught my eye.
If you have some spare time can you take a look and offer
some comments?

Looks OK up front.

Their "salespeak" has very little to do with real chemistry.
In an air stream with humidity, NO2, N2O, and N2O5 are
made and no salesman can stop it from happening.

3000 mg/hr might take a couple of hours to treat a
reasonably sized home, depending on the contamination
level. You'd need to develop a feel for how much a unit
would require.

It appears to be "hardened" against reingestion of ozone,
so the ozone unit could be locked inside while you go
elsewhere. Still need mixing and distribution fans, however.

I would hope that "diffusion" who get it around a room. The
furnace fan would take the O3 about the rest of the house if
I place it near the intake.

That might work.

I used to work for an ozone generator manufacturer. They had a 25
pound per day (on air) ozone generator drop its output hose off of the
intake to the ozone destruct and start pumping to the room at large.
On a weekend. Unattended. Any rubber below about 4 feet had to be
immediately replaced, inclusive of forklift tires and compressed air
hoses. Anything above this "4 foot" was largely unaffected.
"Diffusion" of a gas *significantly* heavier than air cannot be
depended on.

Nature doesn't care what we *want* to happen.

Take note of their cleaning instructions, especially if you
do let it breathe humid air (like you and I are used to).
The plates will accumulate something that devolves into
"fuming nitric acid"... very bad stuff.

Oh, boy!

For the next month or so (as long as the cold weather
holds) the place will be near "bone dry" as I can get it.
But I get your message to not use it when it's damp outside.

You misunderstood. The ozone generator should *breathe* dry air to
prevent NOx formation and fuming nitric production. But ozone in
humid air is most potent / useful, and decays to safety most quickly.
This means the ozone should be pumped *into* a humid space, not just
locked in the space. You *can* do it either way, but "locking it in"
is less effective and more cleanup for you.

I forgot to mention, ozone is really good at attacking
the kinds of adhesive used on shelf / drawer liners.
No help with wallpaper adhesives, I'm afraid. ;)

Darn!

I think that future civilzations will find the remains of wallpaper
still adhered, and consider this "wall paintings".

You might be better off to hire a remediation firm to do this. At
least get quotes, so you know how much coin is involved, and how much
time will have to be worth.

David A. Smith