Posted to alt.home.repair
Iowna Uass Iowna Uass is offline

Default Electrical Service hookup

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.. .
In article , "Iowna Uass"
wrote:
Hi,

I'm changing my service from 100 to 200 amp and I have a few questions
regarding wire size.

The service is overhead lines to the meter and then via 2 inch galv steel
conduit to the panel. The hydro company supplies the lines up to the mast
head and I'm responsible for the rest.

The local codes state the minimum size of conductor to be RW # 2/0 with a
bare # 3 for neutral.

I'm wondering if using RW # 3/0 is overkill? I'm not sure what size would
be
good for the neutral. Would bare # 3 still work?

Yes to all. Why would you want to make the wire larger than the Code
requires?
Is it an unusually long run, where you need to be worried about voltage
drop?
If not, there's really no point in oversizing -- it justs costs more, and
it's
harder to work with.

--
Regards,

Thanks Doug, I'm going to stick with the # 2/0 conductor size.