Roy

Default What's the thrust path in a jet engine?

Well we were taught in the USAF that over 45% of the thrust produced
by the GE 110 engines Turbo Fan (F-16 and F-15 acft) and the previous
P & W eninges as well as the 100 engines was produced by the fan that
actually blows air over the engine for cooling properties etc. The
balance came from the exhaust gasses out the rear, and what air was
not used directly to provide air for the combustion was bypassed from
these fans.

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 14:30:55 -0800, Jim Stewart
wrote:

===Jeff Wisnia wrote:
=== I think I understand how a (non-turbofan) gas turbine jet engine works
=== and that the engine's thrust comes from an "equal and opposite" reaction
=== to lots of air molecules being flung out the rear at very high velocities.
===
=== What I'm not sure of is the specific path through which that thrust is
=== "collected" and makes its way to the engine pylon and thence to the
=== aircraft itself.
===
=== Is it mostly through the rear turbine rotor blades and their bearings,
=== and maybe the front compressor blades too?
===
=== I've been wondering about this ever since Machine Design's editor Ron
=== Kohl wrote in a recent column that he wasn't certain about it either.
===
===It seems to me that the thrust couple from
===the burner cans to the pylon. As far as
===thrust goes, the burner cans are where it's
===at. Everything else is just an auxilary.
===

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.