Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kip Kip is offline

Default Why GO BIG?

I don't understand why
having a Stubby S750 or one of its peers becomes the
ultimate lathe to which so many turners aspire.

Other than permitting one to GO BIG, turning 400,
500 or 600 pound three foot diameter chunks of
wood into something without having to worry about
bogging down the motor, what is the appeal of this
class of lathe?

charlie b

Let me second Mike Paulson's comments. Any turning is more enjoyable
when the machine is rock solid. I recently switched from an old Nova
1500 to a Stubby F600 and notice the difference most when doing hollow
forms from wet wood: you just feel a whole lot more in control when
vibration is absent

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR