Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] tom_murphy@comcast.net is offline

Default HVLP sprayer

On Mar 5, 1:52 pm, (RM MS) wrote:
Has anybody used the Harbor Freight HVLP sprayers? They have one for $49
and another for $99 and they look very similar, in fact the cheaper one
is very nicely made, cast metal gun handle, metal paint cup and metal
pickup siphon tube. I want to spray semi-transparent stain on the cedar
siding of my house. The stain is very thin, but strongly pigmented. Some
years ago I sprayed solid color stain on another wooden house I owned .
The gun was an airless Wagner pulse-type. Spray pattern was small, maybe
3"' across. Hoping one of the HVLP will throw a larger pattern. If
anybody has actually USED one of these, I welcome your email

The $49 is this one, right?

I'm spraying fairly thick primer with it (I got the 2.2mm needle and
nozzle set) and it works extremely well. I'm telling you that this gun
is good enough for all but the most experienced painters. That means
that most of us would have a bigger problem with our technique than
with the gun, whether we're painting the Taj Mahal or birdhouses.

The spray pattern can be adjusted up to 5 - 6 inches or more, but with
a gun like this you have to use a sweep pattern that allows for 100
overlap, which means that you aim the center of the spray at the edge
of the stripe just applied. This is the technique that's used with
standard high pressure guns (at least for automotive paint).

I'm beginning to believe that the designation HVLP on these conversion
guns is a real stretch. Real (turbine) HVLP rigs have almost zero
overspray, and this HF gun (and I suspect all other "conversion" guns
that run on compressed air) has enough overspray that it has to be
considered. It's a lot less than the old style guns such as a Binks #7
or the like, but there is definitely going to be some airborn paint.

Here's the information (or opinion) that you really asked for: It will
do a great job of applying the stain. Thin is no problem. BUT...I
would be nervous if my neighbor was using one next door. I might not
try to insist that he stop, but I would keep a very close watch for
any sign of paint/stain landing on my windows, fence, car, brick etc.
For your house, you will definitely need to mask your windows and
trim, even shrubs etc. within 10' of the gun. In short, it would not
be the ideal approach unless overspray is not a concern in your
circumstances. With a true HVLP, you can paint your house with no
masking other than a "shield" that you hold in your off hand and move
along the work to keep the paint off windows and trim etc.

If you decide to proceed, here's a link to some very helpful
information and instructions for setting this gun up from another
user:

http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com...Pspraygun.html

Good luck,
Tom