Posted to alt.home.repair
dlzc dlzc is offline

Default Ozone Generators - Anyone with experience?

Dear John Gilmer:

On Mar 3, 7:18 am, "John Gilmer" wrote:
I'm considering using an ozone generator to rid rental units
of odors from mold, cooking, whatever.

Has anyone here done this? Does it work? What unit
did you buy? Would you recommend that or another?

My intention is to run the generator on a timer that will
shut it off some hours before I expect to return. Thus,
the fact that ozone isn't good for the lungs will not be a
factor.

Make su
- the ozone generator makes ozone in air, not in pure oxygen (this
would increase the flammability of your unit, ala. Apollo 1).
- the humidity is raised in the unit prior to adding the ozone (its
net potency and effectiveness will increase, as well as shortening its
half life).
- ozone is heavier than air, so add a sacrificial box fan (or three)
to the space to mix things up and distribute.
- add no more ozone than necessary. Ozone will attack padding in
carpet, insulation on power cords, hoses (such as on dishwashers, and
washing machines), and even insulation on hose wiring if applied
indiscriminantly.

Corona-based generators will make the most, fastest, so that you can
dose appropriately, and turn it off, without adding a lot of gas to
the space. UV-based will take (much) longer, but help prevent you
from overdosing (by inducing impatience, most likley).

Brand unimportant, just make sure that it has an air dryer, not an
oxygen concentrator inside. And the air compressor / blower should
draw from outside air, not inside the space. Components upstream of
where ozone is made are in general intolerant of ozone being sucked
back into the unit.

David A. Smith