Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB dnoyeB is offline

Default remodeling & Internet

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 19:17:41 -0800, dmorrison1004 wrote:

I'm remodeling my basement and putting in a gameroom. Have it all framed
in and the electrics run, but I was thinking about broadband internet. I
know this is kind off the repair topic, but since I have everything open
now I was wondering if you guys thought dsl was easier than cable for
connection? I'd rather do this now before the drywall goes up. One of my
friends emailed me this link http://www.dsl-cable-broadband.com for info,
but I thought you guys are a better source! Thanks!

It does not matter. You should not be running cableing to support your
DSL or cable Modem in the middle of your basement. The modem itself
should be off in the corner somewhere. Most likely put it right where the
phone and cable lines enter the house. From that point on you should be
running cat5 or cat6 cableing. So your basement should be wired with
cable for TV purposes, and cat5 for network purposes. But it makes no
sense to try to run wiring so you can put the cable modem in some random
location. Put it at the entry point. You dont need to see it for it to
do its job.