Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bob Daun Bob Daun is offline

Default Musing on Arch's musings

Thanks for the tips. I do have the Termite tool with three different sized
tips. I will check back on Darrells site for the hook tool.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Bob

If I understand you right, than that tool would be called "The
guaranteed humongous catch tool" ;-)))

The upturned sharp edge would go into the wood and keep on going, for
an instant at least, than the force needed to do this would slam the
tool down, and you would have a giant catch, I would not want to be in
the shop with you when that happened.
The only cutting tools, (as opposed to scraping) for inside a deeper
vase or hollow form are the ring or hook tools.
If you go to Darrell Feltmate's website you can see how you can make a
hook tool and also how to use one, ring tools are used very similar,
The Oneway site has info on how to use their Termite tool.
Here's the link to Darrells site, lots of good info for all turners,
one of the best wood turner info sites around.

http://aroundthewoods.com/

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Mar 4, 1:55 pm, "Bob Daun" wrote:
That is not quite what I had in mind. If you can envision a convential
rounded end scraper made out of putty. While it is laying flat, you
would
just bend the last inch or so of the sharpened end toward you. That is
the
shape that I am thinking wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 3, 12:10 pm, "Bob Daun" wrote:

What I would really like to finder is a scraper with a little
steeper
curve on the end for working with bowls with a rather small
diameter
opening. (One with a shaft that actually has a curve to the left.

You mean like this?

http://tinyurl.com/38ss9s

They are offered there with different size, patterns and cut angles.
But out of all the tools you can make youself, a scraper has to be the
easiest. A piece of tool steel, a large planer blade, etc., and you
have your blank. Grind with patience, and you have yourself a custom
designed scraper.

I have seen giant ones made out of car or truck springs (2" x 5/8" !!)
that hog out wood as fast as any contraption or tool I have ever
seen. The guy that made the tool is a turner that turns on a homemade
bowl lathe; he has a small store/show area in front of his house
outside one of our tourist towns. He cannot afford tools, nor would
it occur to him to purchase any. To him it would probably be a sin
against all he held dear to actually to purchase a tool.

In my own way, I admire that.

Robert
Robert