Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Dacon Tom Dacon is offline

Default Sharpening Station Plans

Neil, I've been mulling over building something like you're describing,
myself. While I haven't gotten to the point of trying to draw it out yet,
here's one detail I've been thinking about:

If you sharpen kitchen knives, the wet sharpening system is best positioned
so that you can be behind it, with the wheel turning away from you, and
positioned low enough so that you can work it from behind at a comfortable
height. I think maybe the surface the system sits on might be about 20" off
the floor or so, depending on your height. I would probably want to sit on a
shop stool while doing the sharpening, so the height would depend on that.
So I'm thinking about a sort of "rolling cabinet inside another cabinet",
where the wet sharpener (mine's a Tormek) would sit on the low cabinet,
housed in a recess in a regular benchtop-height stationary bench cabinet.

On top of the bench, my rough grinder would sit at the back, out of the way,
while hand sharpening goes on at the front. For you it would be the Delta
system and the rough grinder. If you need one of them, you bring it to the
front and maybe, in the case of the rough grinder, clamp it to the bench. If
you want to use the wet sharpener at benchtop height, you lift it off the
lower cabinet and set it on top of the bench.

The wet sharpener's cabinet would have shallow drawers underneath for the
various attachments.The bench cabinet would have a stack of shallow drawers
alongside the recess for the rolling cabinet, in which I'd store stones,
honing jigs, spare plane blades, and so forth, with a couple of larger
drawers at the bottom for general storage of grinding wheels, wire wheels
and buffing wheels, and so forth..

At least that's what I'm thinking so far. Once I collect the dimensions and
try to draw it out, who knows how it will work.

Tom Dacon

"Neil Larson" wrote in message
t...
Any body have any unique plans for a sharpening station. I have a standard
8" double wheel grinder, a Delta Sharpening Station and a Jet Slow Speed
Wet Sharpening System. I use the Jet 80% of the time and the Delta about
the next 18% but there are times that I need a real live rough grinder,
so, I would like to find a way to mount and store all of them in a
rack/cabinet that I can switch them out. As a secondary issue, I still do
have need for a ceramic stone though I am thinking about switching to the
Scary Sharpening Syatem for flatening my plane blades and chisel backs. So
some room for that would be ok, but not a real requirement, I use my bench
now.

I was thinking of a tall wheeled cabinet with the Jet on top. The pedestal
would be just big enough for the Jet. It would present the Jet at low
chest level then have lower shelves on each side for the grinder and the
Delta. Another option might be the interchangeable top system. I did that
in a double cabinet for my planer, belt/disk sander, scroll saw and
spindle sander.

Anybody tried or seen anything like this or anybody have a better idea?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your assistance

Neil Larson