Posted to alt.home.repair
mg mg is offline

Default Generator Engine Question - HELP

On Mar 3, 8:15 am, "John W" wrote:
I bought a generator a year ago. I have not had to use it since. Good
hing!!! Anyway, I have taken it out of the box but have never started it or
enen put the oil in it. Does it do any damage to the generator just sitting
in the garage with no oil, no gas not being used? basically, it is as it
came in the box. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

You didn't say whether you want to start it up or continue storing
it.

If you want to continue storing it, I would put it back in the box and
buy some of those Silica Gel Desiccant Storage Packs and put in there
too for the moisture. I bought some on eBay awhile back. I also, put a
box of fabric softener sheets in, in what might be a feeble attempt to
keep away the mice. Mice can be a big problem if they eat the motor
windings, etc. I have heard something about generators becoming
demagnetized over long periods of time, but I doubt if that's a
serious problem.

Once you put oil and gas in the generator, you're permanently married
to it. That means that you will have to follow certain proceedures for
storage and keeping the gas fresh, etc.