Posted to sci.electronics.misc,alt.electronics
Jack Jack is offline

Default 50 Dying batteries: Can they be shorted by cardboard if humid enough?

So specifically in what part of the calculation did you find an error?

Or are you perhaps remembering the jolt you get when you 'test' a nine volt
battery by touching it to your tongue.

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message newsGLGh.388$kf.277@trndny02...
Jack said something like:
So I ran a little test.
Somewhat humid cardboard (sitting in my unheated garage in Seattle in the
middle of winter) measures over 100 megohms on my multimeter.
Sopping wet cardboard (tapwater) measures 1 megohm. Test points 3" apart
although it didn't seem to matter much.

Energizer rated at 2850 mah
Leakage into wet cardboard would be 1.5/1000= .0015 ma.
Time to discharge battery would be 2850/.0015=1.9 million hours or
somewhat
over 200 years.

I suppose the water could have contained more ions than my tap water but
knowing that the human body is quite conductive I also checked the
resistance across my tongue and found it to be 1/10 that of the cardboard
so
it would still take over 20 years to discharge the battery.
I guess I would look elsewhere for the dead battery gremlin.

If you found that it would take 20 years to discharge a battery shorted by
your tongue, I'm suspicious that there's a miscalculation or broken metric
somewhere.

--
Forgetthesong,I'dratherhavethefrontallobotomy...