Ernie Leimkuhler

Default I may never "sharpen" a knife again (using a STeele)

In article Kp51c.165037$jk2.606971@attbi_s53, Loren A. Coe
wrote:

Beecrofter wrote:
"Loren A. Coe" wrote in message
last year i bot a cheapie HF sharpening grinder (with slow water
cooled 2"x8" wheel) worked fine, restored many edges over several
weeks. then, after talking my brother, who worked in a slaughter
house as a youth, i bot a decent steel (steele?).

i have yet to use the grinder again (for kitchen knives). today
was the real test, a couple of _really_ dull 6" cleavers that i missed
last year. not wanting to set up the grinder for just two edges
i tried just the steele. it did the job just fine. i just sliced
some onion with each of them. go figure, too soon old, too late
smart. --Loren

p.s. just fyi, for newbies, i have "played" with steeles for years,
never appreciating the results. there is some technique, and a decent
steel is required. prior (dismal) attempts were with chrome plated
(cheapie) models.

The old style steels were meant to straighten a turned edge and were
not for metal removal.
The new diamond ones are abrasive and remove metal.
2 different ways of operating

yes, agreed. this is the old style, a Chicago 12", it may be stainless,
but i don't know. it is only 8" of working surface, the fine longitudenal
groves. these are sold seperately or with knife sets, made in China.
WalMart carries the sets, Kohls carries the sets and the steels.

if i were doing it again, i might be tempted for a nicer, longer one,
but this one is quite handy for the length of edges i have. eventaully,
i should end up with both. dunno about the diamond type, as you say, a
different deal altogther, a newbie could probably do some real damage
to an edge.

another tip for novices, _patience_ is the key. talking to a butcher
may help but you will see/get difference techniques for everyone you
ask. also, the edge condition determines whether a steel can restore
the edge and i advise to start looking at them under 10x or so and
learn to recognize a good edge that is just dull. these two cleavers
surprised me, i did look at them and they looked fairly nice, just
dull. good luck, --Loren

I have 3 steels in a rack near my knives.
A diamond steel for actual sharpening.
A standard honing steel for regular maintenance.
And a "Butcher's" Steel, a mirror finished glass hard rod of high
carbon steel used to burnish the edge perfect.

Use all 3 in succession and beware the tomato that dares offend me.